Peaches are my favorite fruit.
This fall I purchased a box to cut up and freeze in baggies so I can enjoy them when they’re not in season.
I’m not one of those amazing women who preserve/can their produce. I prefer to freeze.
Heaven help if the electricity should ever go off for long periods of time!
God bless those people in the Eastern United States who get ice and snow storms, hurricanes, etc. Those in the Midwest who experience tornadoes. And those in the South who get floods.
I guess I should be happy I live in Arizona where all I can complain about is the heat.
- 5 c. sliced peaches
- 3/4 c. white sugar
- 1 TB cornstarch
- 1 TB Minute Tapioca
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Place everything in a bowl. Toss until evenly coated and sugar is mostly dissolved.
- Transfer peaches to a 9-inch foil-lined pie plate. Cover with another piece of foil and freeze immediately to prevent peaches from discoloring.
- Once frozen solid, remove peaches from pie plate, with foil, and transfer to a zipper locked plastic bag for later use.
- When ready to use, line a pie plate with prepared pie crust and place frozen peaches on top. Top with another pie crust and cut small slits for venting. Flute the edges to seal.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 30 to 35 minutes, until the crust is brown and the juice begins to bubble through the vents.
- If the edges brown to fast, cover them with strips of aluminum foil about halfway through baking. Cool before serving. This tastes better warm than hot.